Sunday, May 15, 2011
Ella misses her mom and learns to love Click, Clack, Moo
In the past week, Ella and I have learned many things about each other. I have learned that Ella is a very picky eater (more on this later), loves to nap, and is afraid of large trucks and thunderstorms. I have also learned that Ella has some separation anxiety. I suppose it's a good thing that she has bonded with me so quickly, but I do find it difficult to leave her alone when she whines and barks as I leave. I spoke with the vet about this issue and got some tips to help Ella be more comfortable when she is left home alone. So far, they seem to be helping a bit. The neighbors tell me that she still whines for a few minutes after I leave the house, but quiets down fairly quickly. Hopefully Ella will continue to grow more secure and comfortable in her new home and stay quiet when I leave! Thank goodness for patient neighbors who are also new dog owners :-) In other news, Ella and I are reading Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin for my class this week. Set on a farm, Click, Clack, Moo tells the story of a group of cows who find an old typewriter in their barn and begin typing demands to Farmer Brown. When Farmer Brown refuses to grant their request for electric blankets, the cows go on strike and halt milk production. When Farmer Brown still ignores their demands, they bring the hens in on the plan and refuse to provide milk and eggs until they all get electric blankets. Hilarity ensues as Farmer Brown negotiates with his typing animals. Click, Clack, Moo's illustrator, Betsy Lewin, won the Caldecott Honor medal for her bold, colorful illustrations, which make the book come to life. It's one of my favorite children's books, and I'm happy to say that Ella loved it too (so much that she tried to chew on the pages!) Reading Click, Clack, Moo this week gave me an idea to help Ella: I've decided to negotiate for less whining by giving her a toy stuffed with peanut butter before I leave the house. Hopefully Ella will be so distracted by the sticky, delicious peanut butter that she won't even notice that I'm gone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment