Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How this blog got its name

I might as well just come out and admit this now: I'm a huge literature nerd. I can't remember a time when I didn't have several books stacked on my night stand waiting to be read. I majored in English in undergrad, and I'm in my last semester of a master's program in library and information studies, so I want to be a librarian when I grow up. Luckily, many of my friends also love books, so I can get away with being a bit nerdy sometimes. Both of my roommates are also readers, and we tend to have similar tastes when it comes to choosing books. Case in point, we all love Ella Enchanted by Gail Levin. Many of you have probably seen the Anne Hathaway movie with the same title, which is an adaptation of the book, but as is usually the case, the book is better than the movie. If you haven't read it, here's the basic plot. Soon after she is born, Ella is cursed with the "gift" of obedience by Lucinda, a well-meaning fairy. Ella must obey all commands and do everything she is told. Luckily, Ella is free-spirited and independent, so she can maintain some sense of agency in her life, even though she is forced to live with her evil stepmother and stepsisters who can make her do whatever they want simply by commanding it. Since this is a re-invention of the Cinderella story, there is a glass slipper, pumpkin coach, and handsome prince, which means you know it's going to be good. Since Ella the Beagle is extremely enchanting to everyone she meets, I figured Ella Enchanting was an appropriate title for this blog. My point: go read Ella Enchanted and then come meet my enchanting Ella!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lordy Katelyn I love you so much! I can't wait to keep up to date with your adventures with Ella!

    ReplyDelete