Wednesday, May 11, 2011
How Ella got her name
Before I adopted Ella, her previous owner had already named her Bella. Now, don't get me wrong, Bella is a beautiful name. However, my roommate Steph and I are huge Jane Austen enthusiasts. Steph has always named her pets after Austen characters, and I loved that idea so much that I decided to steal it from her. When I met Ella for the first time, I was amazed at how calm and ladylike she was. Of course, there could be no other name for her than Elinor, after Elinor Dashwood of Sense & Sensibility. For those of you who aren't familiar with Austen, Elinor Dashwood is practical, reserved, compassionate, and quietly beautiful. Elinor represents the "sense" in the title Sense & Sensibility. I feel incredibly lucky that Elinor the Beagle is so calm, cheerful, and loving. She is truly living up to her name, so I think Austen would be proud. Since Elinor is quite a big name for such a small Beagle, we call her Ella, a close cousin of her original name. This seems to be working out wonderfully so far, as Ella almost always comes when she is called.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment