Summer has officially arrived in Williamsburg. If you've never braved the heat and extreme humidity of a Williamsburg summer, I don't recommend it. With recent temperatures in the 90s, this season can only be referred to as sweltering! I've always loved to be outside in the sunshine, but even I have been a bit miserable these past few days. Thank goodness I have a pool in my apartment complex to keep me from melting! My furry little Ella has been spending her days snoozing in the air-conditioned apartment. As you can see, her life is obviously very difficult:
The Tucker women were in town this weekend for a visit, which was wonderfully exciting for Ella and I. Ella's grandma and aunties brought her lots of presents and entertained her immensely. We spent yesterday in the water at Yorktown beach, so it's only fitting that we read a beach-themed book for class this week. I chose Patricia Lakin and Scott Nash's Beach Day, which is about a group of alligators who decide to go for a swim during a hot summer day. Lakin's rhythmic text goes perfectly with Nash's adorable alligator illustrations. The alligators ride a tandem bicycle, visit the playground, and have a picnic on the way to the beach, adventures that are intended to teach toddlers the meaning of words like "up," "down," "around," etc. This is a perfect summer read for preschoolers, since it not only includes colorful illustrations, but also emphasizes phonics and word patterns. I'll admit that Ella slept through story time today, but who could blame her? We can all appreciate a good nap on a hot day!

No comments:
Post a Comment